|Looking from Shore area ( Te Pingao ) to Maukaha Rocks and Whenuakura at Whangamata|
- photo courtesy Chris Ball 2017
Certainly a year of unprecedented events here in New Zealand. It was back on Wednesday ( 12th August 2020) to Level 3 for Auckland and Level 2 the rest of New Zealand because of another wave of Covid 19 cases. For us on the Coromandel's Eastern Seaboard, it was postponed club and organisation activities, social distancing of 2 metres, telephoning family and friends, sanitising and hand washing again. Back to reading, writing and sharing with family and friends - those memories of people, time and place.
My friend Rose Marie made email contact with a story she wished to share. Rose Marie wrote a tale for "True Tales of Coromandel's Eastern Seaboard" back in 2015. That book was one of the first true tales books published by The Coromandel Heritage Trust. which is a place in Thames, New Zealand. In what was once a Carnegie Library - now an archive of records and photos of Coromandel people and places.
Typical of many of us, sorting through treasured family photos and papers, Rose Marie thought back with fond memories of her mother - that part of the past New Zealand history that is also family history. As with many of us in New Zealand, our forebears have come from other places and other countries - where COVID 19 has been an extremely virulent pandemic.
|Rosemarie with Ethel at book launch 2015|
Photo courtesy Chris Ball Dec 2015
|Tawa Tawa Hall near Opoutere School also a place of community, gatherings and concerts |
Photo courtesy Chris Ball November 2017
|Photo shot from Whangamata Peninsula looking across at Point Whangamata and to cliffs at Otahu estuary river mouth - Te Kumete - photo courtesy Chris Ball 2009|
|Flower of Pohutukawa - Metrosideros excelsa - Pohutukawa said to|
symbolise birth and rebirth - photo courtesy Chris Ball 2012
- Emails from Rose Marie August 2020
- Dalmatian Cultural Society https://www.dalmatian.org.nz/
- Life in the Bubble, Nelson Public Libraries, NZ http://www.nelsonpubliclibraries.co.nz/library/life-in-the-bubble
- " My Hero is You " UNICEF https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/my-hero-you
- " My COVID 19 Story" , Youth of UNESCO ttps://en.unesco.org/youth/my-covid19-story
- Opoutere School https://www.opoutereschool.net/
- The Coromandel Heritage Trust https://thetreasury.org.nz/
- Whangamata Destination Coromandel